Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Wet And Wild Wolfhound Weekend!


Irish Wolfhounds don't usually get clippered, but the owner wants him SHORT! Posted by Hello

We had a lovely black Irish Wolfhound come in on Friday. She helped herself into the tub, and was very helpful while being bathed. She turned around on command, lifted her feet for me, and gave the occasional kiss. Truly, a wonderful dog! But, ohhhh, she was TALL. The water just ran down my arm and soaked me but good! No pics of her, but I do have some of the bathing area once she was done.

On Saturday, the pretty male above came in. A horse of a different color! Hahaha!! He was very pretty to look at - a nice grey brindle pattern that resembled marble. But he was so very timid and jumpy. Valerie and I both had to heave his reluctant ass into the tub, and Valerie told me not to turn him around because he'd make a break for it given the slightest opportunity. So I bathed him as well as I could facing only one side of him. His owners really need to get him in for grooming more often, as his talons were an inch long. He was so terrified at being put into the tub that he grabbed Valerie's leg and tried to hold on, scratching her up in the process. The owners really need to get him out for socializing more often too, as he is very jumpy and 'tetchy' as they say in Texas. A dog that big (his shoulder is at my waist and his head comes up to my chest) that's that shy is trouble. And an owner of a dog that big has an obligation to socialize. This guy wasn't mean by any stretch - he picked up his feet when asked and leaned his head on my shoulder while getting washed - but he needs some work to make him as calm as his breed usually is.

I wore a waterproof apron for bathing him, so I was marginally less wet than after doing the big girl on Friday, but I think a shower stall and power hose is the way to go in the future. Either that, or we'll just jog through a car wash. *grin*



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?